This is a sort of a non-alcoholic version asked of someone when he or she says something crazy. A less rude way I suppose than asking, “What drugs have you been taking?” or, “Are you drunk??” In this story the answer is it wasn’t Koolaid at all, but a case of mistaken identity- wind-shield washer fluid. Yipes. Click the link in the title for the full article.
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Ten children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care mistakenly put the liquid in a refrigerator and served it, hospital officials said Friday.
Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, drank about an ounce of the blue fluid late Thursday afternoon before realizing it tasted wrong, said Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.
Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning, after blood samples showed “measurable levels” of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said. The day care also provided the fluid for testing.
“All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products,” James told The Associated Press. “This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator.”
What a mistake! Thankfully it looks like all the kids are almost all okay. I pray that the one still hospitalized is as well.