There’s really not much to say about the following article – someone did something extremely stupid, and I thought I’d share. At least no one was seriously hurt…
CAR SET ABLAZE AFTER JOLIET WOMAN USED LIGHTER TO CHECK GAS CAN LEVEL
By Lee Filas | Daily Herald Staff
A 27-year-old Joliet woman is suffering from second-degree burns after using a lighter to check the fuel level in a gas can she was filling while the can was resting inside her car.
Police officials said the woman drove into a 7-11 gas station at 1609 E. Cass St. at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night and climbed out of her car.
She then placed the gas can on the passenger seat of the vehicle, pulled down the nozzle of the pump, and began filling the can.
About halfway through, the woman ignited a lighter to shine some light on the gas can, apparently to see how full the can was, officials said.
The can ignited from the lighter’s flame and exploded, setting the vehicle’s interior ablaze, officials said.
After the fire started, the woman pushed the car away from the gas pumps to apparently ensure the fire didn’t spread to the gas pumps itself.
Officials said, when police and fire officials arrived on the scene, the car was located about 5-feet from the pumps and was completely engulfed in flames.
The woman was transported from the scene to Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet with nonlife threatening injuries to her wrist and thigh, authorities said.
And is it any wonder why it doesn’t list the woman’s name? I can’t decide if it’s a nice thing that the press spared her the humiliation or if they should have included her name so the rest of society can watch out for her! I don’t really understand how someone could do something that dumb, and then turn around and remember to push the car out of the way so it didn’t ignite like the gas can!
Thank God there weren’t any kids in the car!
6 thoughts on “At Least She’s (Physically) OK”
WOW! Was she really that intelligent? And she pushed the car away? All without being severely injured. HMMMM
Wow!! I have heard of stories like that. I’m not sure if it is true, but I remember hearing about a guy from around this area heating gasoline on his stove because he had ‘fuel line freeze up’. According to the story, his house burnt to the ground.
Not eligible for a full honor, but sounds like a Darwin Awards honorable mention! (Full honor requires inability to pass on genes due to death or…)
due to death or dismemberment from being caught in a self-imposed explosion?
That would be it, yes. I wonder how long it will take for this story to appear on the DA website?
DA = ?